Wednesday, September 01, 2010

It's done

It is done. I handed in my resignation yesterday.

It wasn't exactly anticlimactical, it was simply climaxless.

I phoned the typist in the morning to ask her to check in the 2
bosses' Outlook diaries to see when/if/how long they'd be available,
because I wanted to see them for a minute. Straight away she asked
'are you resigning??' so I mumbled 'maybe'. She said they're both out
until +-10:00, so I should email them to ask, and asked again if I'm
leaving (I replied 'not yet'), and she said 'every time I've just
trained someone to replace me then they leave and I have to start
again!'. Yay guilt-trip, LOL!! I emailed the bosses and then felt
anxious the entire morning.

At +-11:15 the 1 boss phoned me and said I can come up to the other
boss's office, they'll see me then. I went up. I felt so anxious.
Fumbled my words, probably didn't speak coherently at all, but
basically handed over my envelope. The 1 boss said I should hand it
to the other boss 'he's better at English', and so that boss read it.
He asked whether I had a job lined up, I said no, then they asked what
the reason is for leaving, the one said 'is it in the letter?', the
other checked, said no and so asked 'ok, may we ask, off the record?',
so I replied 'we're emigrating next year, to Australia, in January'.
They spoke a little, and the 1 mentioned my having worked here for so
long, 'practically gone through the ranks, starting as receptionist,
then secretary and PA'... then they thanked me for my contribution to
the company, and I thanked them for having me, and that was it.

I am so (bitterly is too strong a word) amused that they actually,
really believe that I 'was promoted' like that. No, guys, YOU are the
only people who have the power to promote anyone here, and YOU most
certainly did not promote me apart from to 'admin assistant', after
telling me I'd be HBBM's PA... which wasn't great but anyway. But
yah, well done on being so in-touch with staff issues.

After I came back to my desk, I dreaded having to tell HBBM the news.
It took almost all day to 'get round' to it. I was actually pretty
busy most of the day though, so it wasn't simply me wussing out.

When I did go to tell HBBM, I said 'I don't know whether (boss's name)
has said anything or talked to you about it, but we're leaving for
Australia next year.....'. So he smiles and says 'Ok, but first, I
must ask, who is this 'we'?'. Guh. What a boob. Yah, sure, me and
the boss are moving to Aus. Guh. Anyway, we had a chat about Aus,
and what it entails moving there, visa, etc, reasons to go, etc. It
was far more pleasant than talking to the bosses!

Anyway, now I'm just left with breaking the news to everyone else. I
haven't told the typist yet... will probably do that today.

This morning first thing I found a 16-box of Ferrero Rocher chocolates
on my desk. I thought it was the typist, her being the 'usual
suspect' when anyone finds any nice surprises on their desks! I
thought maybe it was because she'd found out that I was leaving, or
maybe because it was Bosses' Day and she guessed I would have
forgotten and she was 'bailing me out' or something, but I intended
asking her when I saw her what it was about. A little while later,
the 1 boss comes in from a meeting and says 'Happy Secretary's Day!
Did you enjoy your gift?'... eish, how awkward, so I stammered 'OHH, I
thought it was Moira!... I didn't realise...! Thank you!' so he said
'it's not just secretaries, it's all the ladies'... apparently all us
ladies got a box! How yum. Then an hour or so later the other boss
got in and said 'happy secretary's day, for the last time'... Eeek.

So, as of today, we have 150 days until we leave. I am feeling
pretty... odd. Not normal. Depressed? Exhausted?
Post-traumatic-stress-disorder? Dunno. I just feel blah.

No comments: