Friday, April 15, 2011

The past few days

It is now Friday, G has just passed his driving test (hooray!!).  I'll have to resume learning to drive now, and attempt to pass the test at some stage.  Eeek!

Yesterday we trekked around by bus and foot to 2 interviews.  I just heard back about the 2nd one (I wasn't successful), all the other interviews I attended have so far amounted to nil.  I'm not heartbroken, just starting to find job applications a bit boring.

Wednesday we went furniture shopping, and should be receiving our goods (most of them) tomorrow.  I'd hardly call it a splurge (despite the fact that it's cost quite a lot!), because it's all necessary stuff.  We bought:

 A TV unit, with a nice large space behind the glass-doors in which we're going to put my hifi (the glass hopefully should allow the remote control to work).  It also has useful space to put a DVD player/remote/stuff, plus a bit of CD storage.  This is in preparation for the day we get a BIG SCREEN TV.  For now we're going to put the media desktop on there.  Plus, the upper-half of this, which will go behind the TV:

This is known here as a buffet and hutch.  I'd been looking online for a decent cupboard on which to set up the fishtank, and saw this at the shop, and rued the fact that it had a hutch.  We thought the hutch was connected, but it in fact loosely balanced on top.  So, the bottom half will be our 'hall' cupboard and fishtank stand.  Plus storage for stuff like the fishtank accessories, budgie food etc.

We also got the 'tallboy' above.  G left his behind as it was pretty badly eaten up with bugholes and we didn't want to risk customs/quarantine hassles with it.

We also bought 2 display cabinets, but there unfortunately isn't a picture on the furniture shop's website.  At long last, I will have a permanent, dustfree display for ornaments and trinkets, possibly a Breyer horse or two!  The cabinets are only coming in June, unfortunately, so for now I'm going to use some of the many boxes we have now and store them carefully.

On Tuesday and Wednesday we both went to karate.  Tuesday's session was quite tiring, but Wednesday's session was a real bruiser.  I have a 5cm+ bruise on my right forearm now, from blocking punches.  G and I generally team up at the classes, because we can handle each other's punches LOL so we don't have to hold back as much as if it were a 'stranger' (rather than risk hurting them too much - there are some frail looking girls/ladies there!).  Last night's class G attended without me though, as my arm was still sore and I was just completely mentally and physically exhausted from the day's trek + interviews.

Here's some food for thought for all those people who think chatting/instant messaging (at work) isn't beneficial in the slightest:  my typing speed has improved from 35WPM upon leaving college to 80WPM currently.  That's from not only typing at work, but racking up the typing-miles on IM as well.  So there! :-P

After packing up my ornaments etc, I think our major 'to-do' is tackle the garden.  The grass has overgrown badly, plus there are a few trees to trim.  I cringe every time I check the post box, firstly because it's all gunky inside (sand/grime/dirt), secondly because the damn tree is in the way.  Ok - scratch that - we should do the garden now, as it's overcast and the ornaments I can do regardless of the weather!

Ok, that's all for now!

No comments: