Yesterday was our 2nd karate lesson, and there were only 4 people in the class: us 2 n00bs and 2 intermediates. It was enjoyable though, but it's weird for me to be the ABSOLUTE beginner in a class. It's weird to be The Beginner that the teacher is referring to when he says things like 'now this is something that we all will learn and practise a lot, no matter whether you're a Beginner or an Advanced'. I found when doing Scottish dancing that I learnt quite quickly and was able to keep up quite well and wasn't a trailing beginner. This, however, is a totally different kettle of fish and I feel very clumsy and slow. But not in a bad, beat-myself-up-about-it kinda way. There's no feeling of pressure, we're just there to learn, and to have fun of course.
That being said, it's unfortunately undeniable how unfit I am! I feel kaput after the warm up stretching LOL. We started learning our first kata though, which we're going to be practising more today. Today we're also signing up for 6 months and both of us will be getting our gi. I'm very excited.
Another reason for me to be excited, or rather RELIEVED, is that I've cancelled my driving test. Yes, cancelled. No, I haven't chickened out, I just realised a few things and phoned around to get further info.
Firstly, as permanent residents in QLD, we get a 3 month grace period in which we are allowed to drive on our SA licenses. During the 3 months, we're supposed to get QLD licenses by doing the written test and having a lesson (or 2, or 12904), and passing the driving test. If you fail the driving test within the 3 months, you're able to do the test again as many times as you like until you pass.
If you pass the 3 months limit, however, you are no longer allowed to drive unsupervised, you need to get the learner's license issued (by passing the written test you automatically qualify for the learner's license) and then need an 'open license' holder to accompany you whenever you drive (including as you practise) until you pass the driving test (again, you can do the test as often as you like). So in essense, you are a learner driver all over again.
Now, because we have SA licenses, if I fail my driving test and G passes his, I am able to drive with him as my supervisor, which is what I have been doing anyway as I'm inexperienced AND I'm getting used to our car. Also, because I'm over 25, I don't have to complete the learner's logbook (requiring 100 hours driving time to be filled in over the course of 1 year). And, because I currently hold an 'open license' from SA and QLD govt acknowledges it, once I pass the driving test, I get my QLD license instead of getting a P1 or P2 license!
So, I have cancelled my test, and will practise and have lessons and book my driving test when I am good and ready. For someone with as little experience as me, doing the driving test in 3 weeks' time when the 1st driving lesson is only 2 weeks before the test is a little... unrealistic. Not to mention a waste of money if I'm more than likely to fail.
A HUGE load off my mind - I'm so relieved. I just have to go to the traffic dept at SMILLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEE and have my learner's license issued. Can't wait!
Now we just need our stuff to arrive!! Just not on Thursday as that's when our car is going in for a check-up. But soon!!! It's time now! Quick quick, want our stuff plskthx!!
No comments:
Post a Comment