A bit of background to the experiment, first:
Just before jumping on the plane in Brisbane, I bought some packets of chips.
I brought them home unopened, and decided to do a comparison between the Aus chips I got and the SA equivalents.
TODAY'S EPISODE:
Contestants: Twisties (Cheese - 45g) and Niknaks (Original Cheese - 40g)
In Australia, they have Twisties. In SA, we have Niknaks, which apparently is the country's favourite chip. And has been for decades, too.
The above pictures are of the front and back of the packets.
The picture below is of the actual chips, Twisties on the left, Niknaks on the right.
Observations:
The first difference that is evident is the colouring used on the 2 chips. Niknaks are by far more artificial looking, colour-wise. They also smell different: Niknaks having a stronger smell, with a sweet/sour cheese-aroma. Twisties don't really have a strong smell at all, and that difference is carried through to the taste as well: Niknaks are sweeter and more 'cheesy', while Twisties' flavour is more dry and salty... there's definitely more of a milk-solids element to the flavour of Twisties.
Conclusion:
On the whole, what with having grown up with Niknaks, I would say that Twisties are not a substitute for or equal to to Niknaks. In time, however, I suppose one would become accustomed to Twisties as a replacement for Niknaks, but I would bet that regardless of how long a person has been living in Aus, they'd get a big-time craving for some good ol' Niknaks at least once in a while!
Interesting tidbit/extra comment:
The character on the packet of Niknaks is pretty old - over 25 years old. He used to be a dancing clown with painted face, but has evolved into a strange variation of a Rastafarian. Here is a picture of him from the old days:

* all images/logos/copyright materials belong to their respective owners, I am merely using pictures to make my blog interesting.
No comments:
Post a Comment