Friday, May 01, 2009

MAJOR PROGRESS

The past 3 days have been spent at Mom's place, sorting through stuff that has been stored in the roof cavity for the past 20 years (or so).

I think it's very reassuring to find that there isn't really that much stuff I've brought home with me. After going through MANY bags of stuff, mostly old school books and our baby/small kid clothing (why would anyone keep quite so much of this stuff I don't know)... I've picked out a few very special books and some super-special toys (not many at all). Mom really struggles with getting rid of stuff - it would seem as if every single one of our school books, from our whole school career, has been kept. And the amount of baby clothes - ok not quite HEAPS of it, but still more than I thought she'd kept. Baby-grows, small blouse-tops, basically baby clothes, and also pretty dresses, which I thought had been given away A LONG TIME AGO. But she wants to keep some special ones which translates into keeping a lot of them. I think she realises she must give up a lot of them, but it just seems a huge difficulty for her. I don't understand her attachment to the clothing, because a) we're still alive and it's not as if we've died/disappeared... b) we've grown up and it just is pointless keeping clothes we've outgrown and c) I don't see the fascination with baby clothes. Yes, they're small, maybe even cute, but to want to keep all of them simply because they're cute - to me it's like wanting to keep every cute thing I can find... just not possible or sane.

But, that's besides the point. We have cleared out the WHOLE roof cavity, so that all there is up there is 3 bags of Dad's clothes that Mom still wants to keep, 2 sponge mattresses, 4 chairs, a suitcase full of slides, Xmas decorations and a few pelmets which were up when they moved in which she wants to keep for when they move out and they take their 'nice' curtainrails with them (they've had the house for 35 years or so? I'm sure someone buying the house would not want that type of curtain-rail anymore!!!).

But... progress has been made. Next up is the garage, as there are things up there which haven't MOVED in 20 years. And my idea is to clear out those 2 major spaces, so that things which BELONG in a garage (like a gas-bottle) can GO INTO THE GARAGE, rather than be stored in the 3rd bedroom (my ex-room). Yes, things are so muddled and chaotic that there is a gas-bottle in my (ex-)bedroom. I think the garage is going to be hell because there are so many odds and ends which she is NOT going to want to throw away because they can be used to fix things. Shitty little offcuts of wood, or 3ml leftover paint in a tin, which 'can be used sometime when the money's tight, just to touch up something'... so they won't get thrown away.

After the garage, the next things to tackle will be: the outside toilet, the 2 wendyhouses/sheds, the cupboard/shelf in the bathroom, the built-in cupboards in Mom's room, my ex-bedroom, and then any other cupboards/clutter-collection-areas. Mom seriously hangs on to shit that everyone else would toss... but hopefully in freeing up space for her to put stuff that she's ORGANISED, it'll free up space so that she can organise more stuff, which will hopefully start a good cycle of organising... hopefully the organised house will get her to relax a bit and organise her thoughts too.

I have such bad allergies from all the dust... but I think it's worth it in the long run. I just wish I had a month more off from work to keep up the momentum on this junkblitz. The problem is, Mom's mind isn't logical right now... so she will waste time and energy with pointless tasks which only she sees the point of - like having many LITTLE dirtboxes/bags, which all get full and hang around, rather than 1 medium-sized dirtbox which EVERYTHING can go into and it can be taken out regularly. Her issue is that it would smell... so she divides the dirt into smelly/food stuff (which is more urgent to get taken out), boxes/containers/packaging/not smelly (not urgent to get taken out)... etc. So she ends up with subdivided rubbish which a) is a waste of goddamn energy and brainspace, and b) really is a bit pointless and it ends up never being taken out and driving my sister crazy having to deal with 'conditional dirtbins'. It's such a bizarre scenario, I can't even explain it clearly here!!

ANYWAY... time off would be nice - but isn't likely to happen. I'm just sad that this week has gone by so quickly - so much to do and so little time. Tonight we're going to M&J with sis and her G, for supper and games.

Right now, I'm going to play a bit of Diablo 2. At the moment I'm in Act 2, and I'm (if I recall right) level 21 Assassin. Yeehaaa!! I just wish that I had a bigger stash as I have already got too much gold (the limit for my level is 150 000 gold coins), and the other things I've collected have filled up my stash.

Ok, it's time for a bit of DIABLO 2!!!!

No comments: